Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Source Analysis - School of Athens

The School of Athens by Raphael

The Renaissance was a time of change. Mankind was looking for answers through experimentation and discovery, at the same time as maintaining belief in God and religion. Many new ideas were based on thinking from the Ancient Roman and Greek times. The thinking was both abstract and concrete. The School of Athens is a fresco found in the Papal Palace in the Vatican. It shows a collection of sages from the ancient times; very few of whom even met each other. It is a depiction of all the smartest thinkers in one room.

Additional Sources

  1. Everything to know about 'The School of Athens'.
  2. Scuola di Atene - Click on the people to find out who they are.
  3. Trivia Quiz - Who are the people in 'The School of Athens'?


Raphael's School of Athens from Beth Harris on Vimeo.



  • Making reference to your notes, your learning, the video, additional sources and the painting itself, respond to the following question in paragraph format:

How can art be a mirror of society?

  • Putting yourself in the picture. Take a close look at the painting again. Where in this painting do you imagine yourself to be - you can be any part at all - living or inanimate. Decide which aspect you are.

Write a paragraph that identifies where you are in the painting and explains why you see yourself as that part.

Example

If I were part of the painting 'The School of Athens' I would be the statue of the goddess Athena. Athena was the favourite daughter of Zeus and goddess of wisdom, war, the arts, industry and justice. In the painting she is looking down from her niche on the scientists 'of the day' who are discussing emerging ideas, experiments and thinking. She is a participant in the practical side of the painting which is resonant of what she represents. She is wise and likes to get things done. Like Athena I like to watch and listen to others. I am excited by new ideas and thinking and enjoy reflecting on what great minds can conjur. Her practical nature is another trait I feel is present in me. Although I enjoy thinking and discussing ideas in the abstract, being able to put them into action is where I am most drawn to. Also like Athene, justice in the world around me is important. Any injustice infruiates me; I would like to see myself as a crusader of rights, but unlike Athena, I hold no real special power. I will have to continue to find and promote justice on a smaller scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment